All Articles

Update – 29/07/2021

corona virus

As of the latest update by the Greek authorities, the total number of confirmed Covid-19 diagnosed cases in Greece 485,015. 15 new deaths were reported raising the total number to 12,926. The number of patients treated in intensive care units is currently 144. 2,874 new cases were announced yesterday in Greece. 993 of the new cases were found in the Attica region and 308 new cases in the Thessaloniki region.

As highly contagious variants of the coronavirus continue to proliferate, talk of a third dose of the vaccine, starting with specific groups, is gaining momentum.

More specifically, experts of Greece’s National Vaccination Committee are expected within August to reach a conclusion regarding the timing of a booster shot of the vaccine against Covid-19. For their part, pharmaceutical companies have said a third dose must be administered at least six months after the completion of vaccination. Discussions about a booster dose intensified last month when scientists at Pfizer and BioNTech reported that a booster six months after its second and final dose enhances protection against Covid-19.

The relevant data so far suggests a third dose will be needed as a priority for people with a reduced immune response to the vaccine, due to diseases that have led to transplants and to immunosuppressive treatment, or age. Also among the first groups that will receive the third dose are health workers, the majority of whom got the vaccine seven months ago.

According to Maria Theodoridou, emeritus professor of pediatrics and chair of the National Vaccination Committee, the timing of a third dose will depend mainly on the data regarding the duration of immunity.

“It seems that for people who do not have underlying diseases or belong to special categories, the duration of immunity exceeds six months, which was considered from the beginning as a possible time to think about a third dose,” she said. However, she noted that “there is no specific time to say when we will start administering a third dose, nor has a list been drawn up” of those who will be in front of the line.

Nonetheless, speaking to Kathimerini, the president of the Association of Athens and Piraeus Hospital Doctors, Matina Pagoni said “we are waiting for the [European] Commission to inform us in August about when the third dose will be given to the health workers.”

A noteworthy development cited by Pagoni is that there have been mild cases of the disease among vaccinated health workers during the recent surge. “Vaccine efficacy is around 90%, which means that these cases belong to the other 10% and are the result of the very high viral load observed at this time,” she said.

Teachers will be obliged to present a certificate of vaccination against Covid-19 or a negative diagnostic test (rapid test or PCR) to return to the classroom, according to an amendment submitted to Parliament for a vote.

More specifically, teachers will have to present the relevant certification for their entry into primary, and secondary schools around the country in the new school year, which starts in September.

Under the proposed rules, if teachers do not present these documents, they will be banned from entering schools and other educational facilities and will be suspended, during which time they will not receive wages.

Greece will donate 150,000 doses of the coronavirus vaccine to Jordan, Prime Minster Kyriakos Mitsotakis has announced, during a meeting with King Abdallah of Jordan.

The two leaders met on the side lines of the tripartite Greece-Cyprus-Jordan summit.

In more detail, the 2,874 new cases detected per Regional Unit:

  • Attica 993
    • Eastern Attica 154
    • Northern Sector of Athens 126
    • West Attica 32
    • Western Sector of Athens 140
    • Central Sector of Athens 224
    • Southern Sector of Athens 151
    • Islands 20
    • Piraeus 146
  • Thessaloniki 308
  • Etoloakarnania 28
  • Andros 5
  • Argolida 20
  • Arcadia 18
  • Arta 5
  • Achaia 65
  • Boeotia 20
  • Grevena 1
  • Drama 5
  • Evros 24
  • Evia 38
  • Evrytania 1
  • Zakynthos 45
  • Ilia 10
  • Imathia 25
  • Heraklion 123
  • Thesprotia 5
  • Thira 18
  • Ikaria 4
  • Ioannina 31
  • Kavala 18
  • Kalymnos 5
  • Karditsa 26
  • Kastoria 7
  • Kea-Kythnos 2
  • Corfu 30
  • Kefalonia 2
  • Kilkis 11
  • Kozani 56
  • Corinth 50
  • Kos 18
  • Laconia 4
  • Larissa 48
  • Lasithi 17
  • Lesvos 16
  • Lefkada 23
  • Lemnos 7
  • Magnesia 14
  • Messinia 36
  • Milos 6
  • Mykonos 23
  • Naxos 10
  • Xanthi 7
  • Paros 22
  • Pella 18
  • Pieria 24
  • Preveza 13
  • Rethymno 53
  • Rodopi 4
  • Rhodes 71
  • Samos 3
  • Serres 23
  • Sporades 1
  • Syros 1
  • Tinos 10
  • Trikala 11
  • Fthiotida 20
  • Florina 16
  • Fokida 4
  • Chalkidiki 22
  • Chania 88
  • Chios 41
  • Under investigation 186

Subscribe to our Newsletter