Update – 30/07/2020
July 30, 2020
As of the latest update by the Greek authorities yesterday, the total number of confirmed Covid-19 diagnosed cases in Greece is 4,336. Form the 57 new confirmed coronavirus cases announced, 10 were identified at Greece’s entry points, the National Public Health Organization (EODY) said in its daily briefing. Health authorities said there were no new deaths in the last 24 hours, leaving total fatalities from Covid-19 in Greece at 203. The median age of deceased patients was 76 years and most had underlying health problems. The number of patients treated in intensive care units stands at 8, while 127 patients have left the intensive care unit.
EODY also said it had conducted a total of 511,429 tests around the country since the start of the pandemic, adding 53,889 tests from Tuesday’s 457,540. The health body said the jump in the number of tests is attributed to the completion of its bulk inclusion of laboratory data.
Greece broke a record yesterday, after confirming the highest number new domestic cases yesterday after 3 months. On the positive side, the serious incidents are very few. Of particular concern is the growing number of new coronavirus cases, but at the same time the scientific community points out that the vast majority refer to a mild manifestation of the disease. Health authorities are for the time being reassuring but insist that the measures must be observed, as the more cases occur the greater the risk of transmission in vulnerable populations. So far, the country is not focusing on the numbers, but on the qualitative characteristics of the epidemic that seems to be spreading.
Regarding yesterday’s cases:
- 10 were detected during the tests carried out at Greece’s entry points
- 3 are imported cases, which requested testing voluntarily
- 18 cases were detected in the regional unit of Attica
- 11 cases were detected in the regional unit of Thessaloniki
- 7 cases were detected in the regional unit of Kavala
- 2 cases were detected in the regional unit of Lefkada
- 1 case was detected in the regional unit of Achaia
- 1 case was detected in the regional unit of Imathia
- 1 case was detected in the regional unit of Kilkis
- 1 case was detected in the regional unit of Corinth
- 1 case was detected in the regional unit of Dodecanese
- 1 case was detected in the regional unit of Rodopi
- A circular making mask coverings mandatory in the public sector was published by Interior Minister Takis Theodorikakos on Wednesday. The circular states that the obligation to use a mask applies to public service offices where there is contact with the public and concerns both staff and members of the public. The measure was approved by a joint ministry decision which followed the advice of a committee of experts advising the government on how to manage the pandemic.
- Despite hopes that domestic tourism, along with travelers from what was considered “safe” countries, would save the tourist season in Greece, many hotels are still closed while the rate of occupancy in those that are open is as low as 25%. Hoteliers were hoping that the opening of regional airports on July 15 would bring the desperately-needed waves of foreign tourists to popular holiday destinations — but to no avail. While Greece has been branded one of the safest place to travel this summer because of the low number of coronavirus cases, the tourist inflow has been lower than expected. The president of the Hellenic Hoteliers Federation Grigoris Tassios, estimated that the arrival rate of tourists will still remain sluggish for the first ten days of August.