How to Nail your social media writing

  • Social Media

Written by: Action Digital

Social media can often seem like a complex maze of intricate trends that must be adhered to in order to ensure business success online.

And with new platforms emerging across the international social media scene, it is increasingly important for brands to steer clear of applying a once-size-fits-all approach to their posts, but rather tailor each one specifically to both the target audience as well as the platform they will appear on.

Tapping into the in-depth knowledge of our digital marketing team, here Action Digital uncovers five of our top suggestions for how to be creative and increase your followers on social media.

Curate An Authentic And Unique Brand Voice

Although the way you write and the content you post will invariably differ from platform to platform, it is important to maintain consistency with your brands voice and image. The general content and concept of the message should remain the same across each platform, however companies are advised to adapt the way they communicate the message according to the platform being used. If your product, service or brand is serious, make sure your posts consequently adopt a more staid tone; and vice versa if your product is fun, quirky keep this in mind when crafting your posts.

Tailor the message according to the platform

Most consumers have a particular social media platform that they gravitate to. One way of ensuring your target audiences engage with your posts is by adapting the content in accordance with the platform you are using. Twitter for example is all about cutting out the fluff and providing users with fast, to-the-point information in a short amount of characters; Instagram is all about the visuals while Facebook can be lengthier and wordy and LinkedIn is all about professionalism growth and networking. Bear your audience in mind when crafting your posts.

Don’t use each post as an opportunity to sell your product

Social media users will quickly loose interest in your brand if you bombard them with hard sells at every chance you get. Instead of thinking of social media as an online marketplace where you can push your brand out to wider audiences, use is as a place to build trust, inspire feelings, engage and interact with your target markets and create interest without pushing for a sale. Efficient ways of achieving this is by sharing blog posts or promoting the benefits of the product without mentioning where to buy it or how much it is. As a general rule of thumb, brands should apply the 80/20 rule, whereby 80% of your social media time and energy should go into building trust and interest which the other 20% should go into promoting, or subtly selling a product.

Use high-quality images, and use them often

As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words and in today’s fast-paced society, high quality images are much more eye-catching then wordy titles. Great, interesting and unique images are proven to not only grab reader’s attention, but also hold it for longer. According to a study by HubSpot Facebook posts are over 50% more likely to get shared if they include an image, with an 100% increase in comments on posts with pictures.

 Make it or Break it with your headlines

Just like newspaper and magazine, the title or headline of your social media post can make or break the success of the post. Made yours catchy, snappy and compelling, encouraging users to click on the link and read the article or interact with you.

Action Digital have impressive experience with improving brand standing across a wide variety of social media platforms, so if you want your brand to succeed online with a unique social voice, get in touch today and see how we can help.

Subscribe to our Newsletter